- School IPM Home
- Laws & Regulations
- Managing Pests
- Health & Environment
- Model Programs
- Tools & Templates
- Activities & Advisory Group
- School IPM Publications
- Other Resources
Required Healthy Schools Act Training
To implement the new training requirement of the Healthy Schools Act (HSA) that goes into effect July 1, 2016, DPR is developing online training courses about school integrated pest management (IPM) and the safe use of pesticides in relation to the unique nature of schools and children’s health. School IPM coordinators and anyone (including school employees or contractors) who intends to apply a pesticide at a schoolsite after June 30, 2016 must take a DPR-approved training course before making a pesticide application. DPR’s course and any other approved courses will be coming in early 2016. To receive updates and information, please sign up for the School or Child Care IPM list serve.
School IPM Workshops
DPR has organized IPM workshops for school IPM coordinators and other school district staff responsible for pest management in schools. These one-day workshops review IPM principles including hands-on demonstrations and tours of major pests around school buildings and grounds. The same workshop will be offered on various dates at locations throughout the state. For more details view the School IPM Workshop Overview presentation, PDF (1.4 mb).
|Dates and Locations|
|February 19, 2015
|Costa Mesa (Orange County)
Estancia High School
2323 Placentia Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
|April 9, 2015
|Turlock (Stanislaus County)
Dutcher Middle School
1441 Colorado Avenue
Turlock, CA 95380
Do you want to bring our IPM workshop to your area? See the Overview, PDF (1.4 mb) to get an idea of what is involved when hosting a workshop and email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you are interested.
Turfgrass IPM Workshops
DPR also offers turfgrass workshops for school district personnel who are responsible for the management of turfgrass in schools. These advanced, half-day workshops will include the following:
- Review of IPM principles for turfgrass, such as pest identification and management
- Hands-on demonstrations and activities
- Tours of major turfgrass problems around school fields
- Information about turf health, such as irrigation, mowing, aeration, and seeding.
|Dates and Locations|
|April 2, 2015
|Santa Maria (Santa Barbara County)
Santa Maria High School
901 South Broadway
Santa Maria, CA 93454
Educational Tools for IPM Training
Education is an important part of a successful school IPM program. The following educational tools can help IPM Coordinators to conduct more successful IPM training sessions:
- Integrated Pest Management for Schools video series - These entertaining, short videos contain practical integrated pest management tips from experts and information needed to comply with the California Healthy Schools Act. Topics covered in this video series include pest prevention in school buildings; inspecting and monitoring for pests; IPM for ants, cockroaches, gophers, and turfgrass weeds; and more. Watch the entire video series in English (with English and Spanish closed caption option) or En Español (with embedded Spanish subtitles).
- School IPM Curricula - Designed as educational tools for IPM coordinators to train school district staff, these curricula cover topics such as structural IPM, yellowjackets, burrowing rodents, and weeds. Each curriculum describes how to present your own training and lists the tools and books you will need.